Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Biscuits and Gravy



I made my biscuits and gravy for our Monday morning holiday. I tweaked the biscuits a bit this time and added cake flour that turned out well.

1 cup self rising flour
1 cup cake flour
4 T unsalted butter cut into flour
2/3 buttermilk

No kneading just enough to ball and flatten out. Cut out biscuits with a drinking glass and bake at 500° for 8 minutes.

The gravy I start with melting 5 tablespoons or more of butter in a pan and add all purpose flour until it is a nice thick paste. Stir in milk and continually whisk. I add half a vegetable bouillon cube, a good squirt of mustard, pepper, red pepper flakes, and 4 thawed veggie sausage patties. Keep stirring and adding milk until desired thickness. Sometimes I chop up mushrooms if I have them. The photo kind of looks gross but it tastes good!

No comments:

Post a Comment